For so many it’s not a shock when I talk about investing in ‘self’. The idea with paying for education/growth in areas specific to your own wellbeing and development. It is no fluke that when I speak with business leaders from around the globe, the following are consistent along the group:
- Read books or listen to audio books
- Listen to podcasts
- Read blogs (like this)
- Invest in formal education/courses. This could be university or it could be courses specific to their industry or area of expertise
- Attend workshops and seminars
- Attend presentations
- Invest in self-growth or self-development retreats
What baffles me is when people have lofty goals and aspirations. Desire to achieve amazing things and grow both personally and professionally but don’t want to part with the money for personal investment. Sorry people…..life is not FREE! If you want to grow, you need to dust off the wallet, open it up and invest back in YOU. Not only do you get the huge benefits of the learning, but you connect with likeminded and passionate people in that area of interest or expertise. No matter where you are at personally or professionally, there is always more to learn.
So here are a few places I would suggest starting, based on what I have experienced and personally benefitted from and enjoyed:
- Vinh Giang: Communication skills – Telling your story and articulating your knowledge and message is vital to achieving success.
- Tom Cronin: Meditation – Being able to remain present and calm in the face of challenges and day to day stress has been imperative to my level-headed decision making and clarity of thought.
- Ben Greenfield: Podcast – The guru bio-hacker that explore all areas of performance optimisation. From the gut to the brain, to the body, to the soul.
- Building a story brand: Book by Donald Miller – Do you have a business idea? This book is VITAL to being able to articulate what you do, for whom you do it, why people need it and how to ‘sell’ it.
What the leaders I follow are not doing:
- Binge watching Netflix
- Drinking alcohol to excess every night
- Scrolling through socials for hours each day
- Associating with people who drag them down and do not promote self-growth
So if you want to make 2024 the best year yet, I suggest you start investing back in YOU! Self-promotion *** Check out my Adelaide based workshop on the 25th of February, ‘Success Through Wellbeing’.