I am not much of a reader. In fact, I hate it. I am too easily distracted, so for me it is audio books and podcasts. This is how I absorb my information. Recently an amazing client of mine recommended a book (my first thought, “I hope it’s in audio book form”) called “The Go Giver” by Bob Burg & John David Mann. I thought I would give it a go (pardon the pun).
So why am I telling you about a book referral? Well, the story is all about achieving success. A topic dear to my heart and I am sure dear to yours (if you are reading this). The really unique thing with the book is that it approaches the attainment of ‘success’ in a very different way. A way that I would encourage you to reflect upon and practice in your daily life. So what are the 5 key principles:
- The Law of Value: Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
- The Law of Compensation: Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.
- The Law of Influence: Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people’s interests first.
- The Law of Authenticity: The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.
- The Law of Receptivity: The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.
Some may seem obvious; others may have you reframing the way you think. For me, a key takeaway and upon reflection I see in many of my clients, is that ‘success’, is in fact a by-product of serving others. Yes, being open to receiving and achieving is important, but receiving and achieving cannot be your focus each day. Each day should be approached with the mindset of serving others, adding value, building relationships and being GENUINE. If you can live a live as a ‘giver’, success will follow.
I encourage you to help this journey along by adopting a practice of daily journaling. As part of the journaling or gratitude practice, think who you can serve, help or add value to each day. But doing so with no expectation of anything in return. Be genuine and build a circle of fans and supporters around you. A network that will champion your brand each day, with everyone they meet.